[3dprinter-general] Please be verbose whether you would like to get your Blend promoted by tasksel

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Wed Aug 27 17:54:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:47:28PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> if our packages are available via tasksel, we might get feedback
> from more people about missing stuff. So why not just do it? If it
> doesn't work we can still make a retreat before Jessie.

That seems reasonable, but I don't expect many users to install things
with tasksel until after the release.  So if there is a flood of reports
(which I don't expect), it'll be after it's too late to retreat.

On the other hand, we can say that we want it, and then commit ourselves
to making sure we have everything in place for the release to justify
it.  That could be a nice motivator to get things done in time. :-)

Which means we should discuss what needs to be done for it.  I'll start
with a suggestion; please comment:

When the 3d-printer task is installed, the user must be able to do the
following without any internet access (and without writing code :-P).

1. Install firmware on an Arduino-based RepRap (or compatible) printer.
2. Create STL files from a graphical program (Blender/OpenScad).
3. Create G-code files from the STL files.
4. Print the G-code.

I'm working (upstream) on things that make everything a lot more
user-friendly, but those won't be done before the release.

Thanks,
Bas