[3dprinter-general] 3D printer related MIME types?

Dr. Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Mon Oct 9 13:46:01 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 09:31:07PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Hi.  I just discovered, thanks to a comment from rockstorm on IRC, that
> there seem to be several MIME types used for gcode files (text/x.gcode
> vs. text/x-gcode).  If we are to provide a seamless user experience, we
> need to agree and standardize on the MIME types used in desktop files
> and sharedmimeinfo files.

Yes.  I've noticed this as well, and agree that it is important.  But I don't
think we should just choose something and use it.  Instead, we should register
our choice with IANA so that it is the standard which everyone will use.  And
before doing that, we should have some consensus from the 3-D printer
community.  In particular, slicer upstreams should not object to our choice.
My guess is that most of them, if not all, will not care much, but it's good to
check anyway.

Since that is quite a bit of work, I haven't started it yet.  But I would like
it if someone else does it. :)

As for G-Code, we should have a good definition if we want to make it a
standard.  There was an attempt to start this a few years ago, but it is
unfortunately stalled.  I think it would be accepted by pretty much everyone if
we completed it.  It's at https://github.com/RepRapCode/RepRapCode .  I have
commit rights there, but anyone can do a pull request, of course.

> Is there a list of MIME types we should use for gcode, stl, and other
> relevant formats?

There are a lot more model file formats, most notably amf.  Each slicer has a
list of file types it can open.

Thanks,
Bas