[3dprinter-general] libsavitar is marked for autoremoval from testing

Gregor Riepl onitake at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:23:59 BST 2020

> libsavitar 4.5.0-1 is marked for autoremoval from testing on
> 2020-08-21
>
> It is affected by these RC bugs: 957474: libsavitar: ftbfs with
> GCC-10

> libpolyclipping 6.4.2-6 is marked for autoremoval from testing on
> 2020-08-21
>
> It is affected by these RC bugs: 957466: libpolyclipping: ftbfs with
> GCC-10

As per the discussion in
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=957474 , can we drop
the symbols files from these repos?

The alternative would be to update them on almost every single
gcc/libstdc++ update on all archs supported by Debian, which is really,
really tedious. I addressed the issues at some point by enabling symbol
visibility (and this was even upstreamed), but g++ still generated
non-API arch-specific symbols that were not easy to match in a generic way.

I'm a bit fed up with this. The symbols file should *help* detect
breaking API changes, not constantly break package builds for no good
reason.