[3dprinter-general] Cura 5.0~beta

Sebastian Kuzminsky seb at highlab.com
Mon May 16 16:54:37 BST 2022

On 5/14/22 15:40, Gregor Riepl wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
>> Hi there folks, I've started packaging Cura 5.0~beta by extending the
>> various gbp repos on salsa.  I'm posting here to seek feedback and to
>> offer my work-in-progress, so we can avoid duplication of effort.
>
> I'm not aware of anything, so go ahead and thank you for the effort.
>
> On the other hand, I'm not sure if we should push a beta version to
> unstable. Working on packaging is definitely appreciated, but I think we
> should for the final release.

I totally agree.  I expect the 5.0.0 release soon, maybe as early as
this week or next, so I'm working through the build issues and
dependencies now, to get a head start on the release.

>> However I ran into trouble with libsavitar.  Upstream uses SIP 6.5 to
>> build the python bindings, but unstable has moved on to SIP 6.6, which
>> replaced the parser, and the new parser crashes on libsavitar's sip files:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1010910
>>
>> The sip 6.5 packages in testing have the old parser, and that builds the
>> new libsavitar without any problems.
>
> You could mark the bug as RC-critical, because it cause FTBFS issues in
> other packages (i.e. libsavitar).
>
> IMHO this would make SIP 6.6 not fit for release, and it should probably
> even be removed from unstable to avoid causing havoc. But, if your patch
> is good enough to make libsavitar build again, I think it should be
> released ASAP.
>
> I'd recommend to wait for a response to your bug report, and if there's
> no reaction, you should raise the severity to "serious". I can see that
> there is at least another FTBFS bug in SIP 6.6, and that one is already
> marked as "serious":

Dmitry Shachnev, the sip6 maintainer, already released a new package
with the proposed fix and a couple of others, and libsavitar builds with
it, so I'm happy and this is no longer an issue.  :-)

>> Next I'm moving on to libarcus, uranium, cura-engine, pynest2d, and the
>> cura gui.
>
> Thanks!
> I can test your MRs a try and merge them when they are ready.

Great :-)
I'll ping you here when I have something worth testing.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky