[3dprinter-general] Cura issue with Sentry SDK / eventlet

Gregor Riepl onitake at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 09:38:12 BST 2023

Hi myon,

> Hmm, that would still leave the users in the cold who have the package
> installed, without any indication that simply uninstalling it (what?)
> would fix it.

True.

> If we don't have a proper fix, can we just disable the feature by
> ripping it out?

On one hand, the crash reporter is not super appropriate in a Debian
context; people should report Debian bugs in the Debian bug tracker.
Upstream won't be happy about bugs reported for 3rd party packaging and
would probably simply point people to their own AppImage.

On the other hand, "regular" users might not be inclined to use the
Debian bug tracker, and creating a useful backtrace by hand is also more
tedious than the crash reporter's automatic functionality.

But it's not too hard to remove the crash reporter completely, just a
bit tedious:

1. Remove the sentry_sdk import from
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cura/CrashHandler.py (but keep
with_sentry_sdk = False)
2. Do the same with /usr/bin/cura
3. Remove self._plugin_registry.preloaded_plugins.append("SentryLogger")
from /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cura/CuraApplication.py
4. Remove /usr/lib/cura/plugins/SentryLogger

Regards,
Gregor