[Alioth-staff-replacement] protecting archive/* tags on the alioth replacement

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sun Jun 11 14:45:39 UTC 2017

Hi.  I have a favour to ask of people working on the proposed alioth
replacement.

I would like that replacement to reserve the git namespace
refs/tags/archive/* (that is, to prevent such tags from being pushed).

This is because these tags are used by dgit to indicate the
exactly-equivalent-to-the-archive commits.  (The naming scheme,
archive/<distro>/<version>, was chosen after a discussion on
debian-devel.[1])

Because git does not namespace tags properly, it is very awkward for
the same tag names to be used for different purposes in different
places.  It is also possible that someone might create archive/* tags
manually "following dgit's example" but without the verification that
dgit does.

Let me know if you want any more information.

Regards, and good luck!

Ian.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/11/threads.html#00266

--