[Alioth-staff-replacement] Kallithea, its SSH support and future of the project

Andrew Shadura andrew at shadura.me
Mon Jun 12 20:09:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

Someone mentioned on the chat that Kallithea lacks SSH support, and
doesn't seem very alive anyway… Well, the thing is, we have a bunch of
outstanding pull requests, adding various things including SSH support,
which haven't been merged, as we lacked people, and a key dependency of
many features, proper DB migration code, was work in progress for way
too long. With one of the key contributors leaving his job, the pace of
the project development has unfortunately slowed down, and we're
bikeshedding quite a lot, and, honestly, the project is quite
stagnating. We had lots of plans, there's some cool work in progress,
but it is difficult do get something done as discussions take ages.

The project needs a huge kick and some new people. The question is,
whether or not potential collaboration with Debian can help Kallithea
stay alive, and whether Alioth maintainers are willing to join forces or
they take a more pragmatic approach of just using something that works
out of the box.

P.S. DB migration code in question has been merged, so now it's just a
simple matter of programming^W^W^W^W^W that we need to stop bikeshedding
and find time. Oh well.

--
Cheers,
  Andrew