[Alioth-staff-replacement] Some details for the sprint tomorrow

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri Aug 18 10:20:17 UTC 2017

Pirate Praveen <praveen at onenetbeyond.org> writes:

> On വെള്ളി 18 ആഗസ്റ്റ് 2017 10:54 രാവിലെ, Philip Hands wrote:
>> It seems that there is nothing that is packaged that we're willing to
>> use.  I had thought that one of the points in favour of gitlab was that
>> it was packaged, but if we're agreed that the version that's been
>> packaged is outdated and insecure to an extent that means we should just
>> use whatever upstream is releasing, then that does not apply.
>
> pagure packaging is very close to completion.
>
>> Also, if it is the case that gitlab in stable is unlikely to ever be
>> supportable, a couple of things occur to me:
>
> How did you reach that conclusion? We are actively fixing security
> issues. What version in stable lacks is new features.
>
>>   1) using packages out of unstable seems like it's closer to what DSA
>>   can tolerate than using the upstream direct, so perhaps we should
>>   just do that (or could this perhaps be the thing that will finally
>>   provide enough motivation for bikesheds to become a reality? ;-) )
>>
>>   2) Having a version of gitlab in stable seems like a disservice to
>>   Debian's users, if we're not willing to touch it.  If the software
>>   really is not stable, we should make that clear by ensuring that it
>>   doesn't get in releases, so that people know that they're having to
>>   grab it out of unstable, and thus what to expect.
>
> I think you are confusing stability with latest features. The reason why
> some people would prefer the latest upstream is for new features, not
> stability.  I run git.fosscommunity.in with stable packages and I don't
> see such stability issues which you have conjured out of your
> imagination.

I was just reporting the consensus in the room at the sprint last night.

It seems that the current plan is to install git.debian.net using gitlab
From upstream, and running it as a non-DSA service, with the intent to
give that the git.debian.org name at some point in the not-too-far future.

Meanwhile people keen on seeing other solutions can set them up as
e.g. pagure.debian.net, kallithea.debian.net, etc. to see what people
prefer.

Personally, I would prefer to see us using debian packages if possible
on the basis of eating our own dogfood, but I'm not doing the work, so
it is not my decision.

Cheers, Phil.