[Alioth-staff-replacement] Alioth needs your help

Joerg Jaspert joerg at ganneff.de
Sun Aug 20 14:55:32 UTC 2017

On 14770 March 1977, Geert Stappers wrote:

>> > and that service creates account on gitlab with proper name.
>> > Or better, we write a ruby plugin that makes gitlab talk to sso.d.o directly.
>> > After a quick look at gitlab docs, it can be achieved by writing a omniauth[1]
>> > plugin
>> it will probably the other way round. Gitlab as being a backend for sso.
> That feels wrong.

Thats how it is for ages now. (Well, alioth in the back, but still)

>> SSO doesn't have own backends.
> Isn't  db.debian.org the backend that knowns about all DD?

SSO, as it is right now, is NOT a user managing thing. SSO is ONLY
taking existing users from one or more (two right now, db.d.o/alioth)
backends, and allows them to have a single sign on on connected debian
services, nm.debian.org being the biggest of it, DebConf pages the next
one (that i know of).

If someone is willing to invest the time and work to make SSO fly up and
be THE one point other things can connect to, meaning that it eats DD
data from db.d.o but does its own user management for non-DDs, and also
willing to maintain that over time - and then also add stuff like being
an ouath provider, SAML something, whatever those things are called by
now, so that applications/services can easily be connected to it - then
setups like gitlab/gitea/whatever can go and use it as a provider, and
not the other way round.

I am pretty sure the current maintainers of sso would love to get help,
possibly to the point of being happy to entirely give it to someone who
really wants to invest the time and work, also i cant speak for them, so
talk to them for more.

--
bye, Joerg