[Alioth-staff-replacement] Alioth needs your help

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Aug 21 12:01:25 UTC 2017

On 08/19/2017 10:04 PM, Michael Lustfield wrote:
> http://gitea.debian.net is live.
I tried to git push to zigo/python-pbr (which I created) and it didn't
work for me. Is there something wrong?

Quickly, my first impression is: it looks as bad as github, with its
silly workflow. ie, to send a patch, one has to:
- fork a repo
- clone it
- make a patch and push it to the fork
- ask for pull request

This is a *very* convoluted and painful process. Having to fork to
submit a simple patch is a silly concept that only exists because of
github. It's a shame that a whole community is getting used to such an
inconvenient way of doing things.

I very much prefer the workflow with git review, where one just need to
clone locally, patch, and simply "git review" the written patch.

Does anyone know if gitlab has support for git review? If not, is it a
feature that is planned? Or is it that gitlab also lamely copied the
github workflow?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)