[Alioth-staff-replacement] salsa + sso.debian.org

Michael Stapelberg stapelberg at debian.org
Tue Oct 24 16:29:19 UTC 2017

Hey,

this topic has been discussed informally on IRC in the past, but I
figured it would be good to start an email thread to get us all on the
same page.

I would like to have GitLab (salsa) use sso.debian.org for
authenticating users. That way, DDs and guests alike don’t need to
have yet another account. My longer-term hope is that by leading by
example, other Debian web applications follow suit.

To that end, I have evaluated approaches and came up with a proposal
at https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/SSO#A2017-10-24_suggestion_to_deploy_dex_on_sso.debian.org

I have presented this to DSA and hope to move forward with the test
setup on sso.d.o soon.

I have the following open questions:

1. Who could help me with configuring GitLab on salsa such that it
authenticates against sso.d.o? I verified a working config and
described it at https://michael.stapelberg.de/Artikel/gitlab-with-dex

2. Philipp Kaluza, I see that you have recently been working on
https://salsa.debian.org/pixelpapst-guest/gitlab_newuser (thanks!). Do
you think it would be possible to make your app a little more generic
by deploying it on sso.d.o and thereby allowing guest accounts to
eventually use a variety of services, not just GitLab?

3. Are there any open questions or concerns?

--
Best regards,
Michael