[Android-tools-devel] RFS: android-platform-libcore/6.0.1+r16-1

Markus Koschany apo at debian.org
Tue Jun 7 11:15:29 UTC 2016

On 27.05.2016 16:37, 殷啟聰 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have prepared a new version of android-platform-libcore. The changelog is:
[...]
>   [ Kai-Chung Yan ]
>   * New package: android-platform-libcore-source
[...]

Hi,

my main concern is still that the package is actually named
android-platform-libcore-source-6.0.1. This may be intentional but we
should try to find a better way or at least list all available options
and then decide the best way forward.

Versions in binary packages is something that exists in Debian like
gcc-4.9 or automake1.11. However it is better to limit this to important
packages because every time Google changes the version, the package name
must be updated too. Otherwise the package name wouldn't reflect the
content.

Please also keep in mind that every package name change has to go
through Debian's NEW queue which puts additional burden on the FTP team
and sometimes it simply takes a lot of time. Now imagine we have to do
that for multiple packages.

At the moment I don't know enough about the underlying rationale for
those packages and why we need to provide sources files in binary
packages. I think it would be a good idea to summarize all these
thoughts somewhere. For instance why do we need to ship *.java files and
why can't we just compile them to class files?

Regards,

Markus