[Android-tools-devel] getting `android update sdk` working

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jun 30 12:43:27 UTC 2016

There are many packages that are used as part of the Android SDK that
will be very difficult for us to package and distribute any time soon.
Things like the emulator "system-images".  I think we need to support
them, and make them easy to install with the Debian packages.  I can see
two ways to do this:

1. make separate "contrib" installer packages for each system-image,
e.g. "Intel x86 Atom System Image 24r4" aka sysimg_x86-24_r04.zip, like
google-android-ndk-installer

2. make an ANDROID_HOME in /var/lib/android-sdk with symlinks to the
stuff provided by the Debian packages, e.g.
/var/lib/android-sdk/build-tools/23.0.3, and then write permissions to
an 'android-sdk' group so that users can add themselves to that group,
then run `/var/lib/android-sdk/tools/android update sdk` to get other
bits from Google.

I'm not sure which is the better path.  The first one seems to be
simpler, since everything would be a Debian package.

.hc