[Android-tools-devel] Fwd: google-android-platform-* packages WAS: android-platform-libcore/6.0.1+r16-1

Chirayu Desai chirayudesai1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 16:30:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> I thought about enabling `android update sdk` in the Debian package's
> version of `android`, but now I'm thinking that it would be better to do
> it all with Debian packages.  I think a primary use case of the Debian
> packages will be to set up a system to build Android apps in an
> automated way (e.g. via Chef, Puppet, Ansible, CI script, etc).  It'll
> be a lot easier to do that if all of the components of the SDK can be
> directly `apt-get install`ed.  `android update sdk` is a really crappy
> package manager, and I've spent quite a bit of time fighting with it
> when automating things like CI builds.
I would agree here. It shouldn't take long for us to add the newer
versions to the contrib packages (for future releases)

> I think it could make a lot of sense to have a single
> google-android-platform-installer source package that then makes
> multiple google-android-platform-*-installer binary pacakges for each
> platform number.  It might even make sense to have a single source
> package for all of these installer binary packages.  The source package
> would just contain basically a template, then the build process would
> generate lots of binary packages based on replacing things in the
> template using a list of values for all of the Google binary packages
> that we want to support, e.g.
>
> * docs
> * platform-*
> * sys_img-*
> * build-tools-*

I'm working on creating the google-android-platform-installer package right now.
Experimenting reading up a bit on how to best use templates, and
things like deb-substvars.
A single source package for all the google binary packages could work
too. Maybe we could even have something which parses the repository
xml, and creates packages for things we want. Not sure if we want to
do XML parsing though. If we do though, I have some past experience
with python which could be helpful.

I can continue with the platform-installer package, or get started
with a generic google binary downloader, whatever suits us the best.