[Android-tools-devel] RFS: android-platform-external-libunwind/6.0.1+r55-1

Markus Koschany apo at debian.org
Mon Aug 1 14:42:37 UTC 2016

Hello Chirayu,

On 01.08.2016 15:56, Chirayu Desai wrote:
> Hello Markus,
>
> There's one thing about the r55 updates in general.
> Previously, the android packages went out of sync, and some were stuck
> on slightly older 6.0 revisions. Now most of the time there aren't
> many changes, or any significant changes (i.e. code which isn't
> android userspace) which would affect us, but there's something once
> in a while.
> Also, google only builds all of the source code together, with the
> same version checked out.

I don't understand how this affects Debian. In Debian we package new
upstream versions if they contain some sort of newly added files or
changes to existing ones. In this case there wasn't any upstream change
at all (besides from the version bump). If you only want to update the
packaging then you can just bump the Debian revision and be good with
it. It doesn't make any sense to package a new upstream release if it
doesn't contain any notable changes.

> Hence, to avoid confusion, I went ahead and updated all packages to
> upstream tag 6.0.1_r55 (latest as of now), and also the Build-Depends
> in various packages to the same, as they were even more out of sync
> (all were at varying versions).

Being out of sync is not a problem as long as the version is just
different. It only becomes an issue if packages fail to build from
source or stop working because they depend on new or changed code.

> This does bring some problems though, that the packages would always
> have to be updated in a particular order, and every time a new
> upstream version comes out, they would all need to be updated.
>
> We could set the BD again manually, relying on manual checking of code
> changes, and only bumping it up when necessary - but making sure it
> gets done on every upstream update, and for all repos, to not get out
> of sync.
> And / or perhaps we can make the update / upload process easier
> somehow, if updating the 10+ packages in the correct order every time.

You only need to update packages if

a) upstream has introduced new changes
b) another package (build-dependency or dependency) requires this update

Setting the correct versioned BD is important in Debian if the package
fails to build with an older version.

I think it isn't as complicated as you may think it is. You will have
less work to do if you only package new upstream releases that contain
notable changes. If you don't need to touch a package, great, more time
saved for all of us.

Regards,

Markus