[Android-tools-devel] NDK support for Debian

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Mar 21 15:23:49 UTC 2018

LM:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:34 AM, 殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan
> <seamlikok at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for trying our packages, looks like the toolchain is promising.
>
> Am happy to help test.
>
>> Unfortunately, we currently do not have any plan to support the NDK, as it requires lots of investigations. But we do prepare a non-free NDK downloader package [1].
>>
>> [1]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/google-android-ndk-installer
>
> I noticed that.  Unfortunately, it only looked like it was supported
> on arm and I'm developing on an x86 machine and cross-compiling to the
> various systems I need to support.
>
> If there are any plans in the future to create NDKs, I'd be happy to
> help out or test.  Would think you'd just need a cross-compiler built
> for a particular target (armv7-a, x86, etc.), bionic as the run time
> library and ability to work with the various standard Android
> libraries (like liblog, libGLESv2).  Haven't checked the details, but
> noticed at least one project that's offering its own NDK (
> https://www.crystax.net/ ).  If there's interest from Debian
> users/developers, think it would certainly be worth looking into
> creating Android NDK package(s) for Debian.
>
> I'm in the process of porting several Open Source SDL and FLTK
> applications to Android, so the majority of my Android development is
> going to be in C/C++ and will require some kind of cross-compiler and
> a native development kit.

People have talked about packaging the NDK, but no one has said they
were going to do it.  It seems that it might be feasible to use the
Debian compiler packages, and just build the lib/header parts of the NDK
to build against.  Someone needs to step up to lead the work though, and
then I think others will help.

.hc