[Android-tools-devel] Notes on GSoC 2018 Coordination

殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan seamlikok at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:41:26 BST 2018

Hello Saif, Umang and Chandramouli,

Congratulations on being accepted to GSoC! As we will be working together in the next few months, I am here to give out some notes that you should remember.

# Community Bonding

This period is for students and mentors getting to know each other, also for students pre-fetching necessary knowledge of the project so that they can start working as soon as possible. That includes reading materials of Debian packaging and AOSP building, setting up development environment, etc.. As far as I know, Umang has been working on `android-platform-external-libunwind` while Chandramouli on `android-platform-system-selinux`. I would like to know how well have you gone, please tell us on IRC.

# Communication Channels

We usually discuss things in #debian-mobile on <irc.debian.org>, and #debian-java is also used for Java-related discussions. IRC is a public service which enables anonymous use, so it is perfect for open source development. You can find more information on <https://wiki.debian.org/IRC>. Although not mandatory, I suggest you stay in the IRC channel as long as you are working on or studying your GSoC tasks, and don't hesitate to ask in the channel even if the mentors are not online, there may also be others who know the answers.

The other way of communications is the email. Discussions about GSoC must always be sent to all mentors, and discussions related to Debian itself (e.g. requesting for package uploads) should be sent to the `android-tools-devel` mailing list <https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/android-tools-devel>. Therefore, please subscribe to this list.

So far I haven't seen Umang or Chandramouli appearing on IRC, please be active as much as possible.

# Weekly Reports and Meetings

During the coding phase, students are supposed to send weekly reports to the `debian-outreach` mailing list summarizing what they have done in the past week. Keeping a blog is also good, although not mandatory. But please don't just send a link to your blog as the reports.

Apart from this, we will also host a weekly meeting discussing problems and plans. We will do this on IRC, and we need to make a decision on the date-time as soon as possible. I propose we do it on Friday 17:30 in India, which is 20:00 for me and 14:00 for Hans. Anyone has a better idea? Please reply to this email or discuss with it on IRC.

Speaking of the meeting, we should have our first meeting as soon as possible before the coding phase. Will you all (the students) be able to make it at the proposed date-time? Please reply to confirm. Thank you!

Best regards,
Kai-Chung Yan