[Android-tools-devel] New Android SDK/NDK Rebuilds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Nov 29 14:44:33 GMT 2018

beuc at beuc.net:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 09:11:46PM +0800, 殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan wrote:
>> The team here at Debian was considering an approach to build the
>> latest SDK Platform (particularly `android.jar`) using the upstream
>> build system instead handcrafted build scripts. Basically to
>> aggregate every AOSP repository that is necessary into one big
>> package and build `android.jar` by just invoking `make XXX` and let
>> Ninja and Soong and friends do the rest. As the build process is
>> quite complicated, handcrafted scripts are too error-prone and hard
>> to write. We never provided a newer SDK Platform only because our
>> existing approach no longer worked.
>
> Good to know.
>
> I'm not sure myself if there's a fine-grained "make XXX" command to
> build the platform, but I'd be interested in knowing it :)

Yeah, there might not be.  The key thing in our experience is finding
the right commit to build across all the code.  Google's tags are not
particularly consistent nor obvious.

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:12:18PM +0100, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I think building all the support libs would be an awesome place to
>> start, since I think it'll be easier to find which tags to build, and
>> won't be so large.
>
> Is it too large for your current infra or would it fit nonetheless?
>
> (I'd rather have the binaries build from the F-Droid infra rather than
> my personal laptop :))
>

>> I'm pretty sure I can provide this space.  How big do you think it'll
>> have to be?  I think I could dedicate 100GB with static IPv4+IPv6 to
>> this.  Plus we can allocate a dedicated build VM for this.
>
> Sounds great.  I expect the disk usage to be on-par with e.g. a
> fdroidserver cache, so 100GB would be good.

I wrote up an outline of this idea and a call for help on the F-Droid
forum, please spread it around!

https://forum.f-droid.org/t/call-for-help-making-free-software-builds-of-the-android-sdk/4685

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556