[Android-tools-devel] Does this thing actually work?

fluffrabbit at aol.com fluffrabbit at aol.com
Mon Jul 29 14:16:27 BST 2019

I dug a little deeper to find out what it is the build system can't find.
> Could not find javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:debian.     Searched in the following locations:         file:/usr/share/maven-repo/javax/xml/bind/jaxb-api/debian/jaxb-api-debian.pom         file:/usr/share/maven-repo/javax/xml/bind/jaxb-api/debian/jaxb-api-debian.jar     Required by:         project : > com.android.tools.build:gradle:debian > com.android.tools.build:gradle-core:debian > com.android.databinding:compilerCommon:debian
It's looking for jaxb-api-debian.jar, which exists on my machine exactly where it says it is. Within it, it's trying to resolve javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:debian. My copy of the jar does not contain javax/xml/bind, though it does have several folders within javax/xml. I guess that means my copy of the jar is older.
> Could not find com.ibm.icu:icu4j:debian.     Searched in the following locations:         file:/usr/share/maven-repo/com/ibm/icu/icu4j/debian/icu4j-debian.pom         file:/usr/share/maven-repo/com/ibm/icu/icu4j/debian/icu4j-debian.jar     Required by:         project : > com.android.tools.build:gradle:debian > com.android.tools.build:gradle-core:debian > com.android.databinding:compilerCommon:debian > org.antlr:antlr4:debian
Here it's looking for /usr/share/maven-repo/com/ibm/icu/icu4j/debian/icu4j-debian.jar. On my machine, there is no ibm folder in /usr/share/maven-repo/com. So in this case there is no jar for it to find.
Interesting how it specifically looks for debian versions of packages which don't exist. So Debian doesn't package this stuff? I don't know how Java class resolution works, but I guess the "debian" string is added in and nobody actually assumes that Debian packages IBM stuff, right?
Also, by "upstream" do you mean from the Gradle project itself?
Thanks.