[Android-tools-devel] Serious bugs and errors in android tools and gradle build process on Debian 10 Buster.

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Aug 15 09:00:37 BST 2019

Alexander:
> В Thu, 15 Aug 2019 00:39:08 +0000
> Fluff Rabbit via Android-tools-devel
> <android-tools-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net> пишет:
>
>> Vim is a Linux meme, but you really shouldn't need more than a text
>> editor to edit your Java,  C/C++, XML, etc. That way you know what
>> changes when things change, like when `android update project` was
>> deprecated in favor of Gradle. An IDE such as Android Studio hides
>> the details from you, and there are a lot of details with something
>> as complex as an APK. It's the little bugs that creep in and get you,
>> at least if you're relying on these packages.
>>
>> On August 14, 2019 2:36:01 PM MDT, Alexander <remake347 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> В Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:29:57 +0000
>>> Fluff Rabbit via Android-tools-devel

>>> broken.

>>> What you reccomend for android developing? Where to see android
>>> virtual device (AVD) and form editor for future developed apk's? If I
>>> understood you offer to use vim and console but APK it's big project
>>> with many files including XML, JAR, BMP, JPG etc. However I need a
>>> graphical editors, XML-editors, 3D-editors and more like that.

> If I could to build my apk's in debian.... but not success. Errors.
> Maybe F-Droid project with bug or I need to come to Debian Squeeze
> (rather than Buster).

What is 100% clear is that the wiki needs to be updated.  And this
conversation has cleared up some things.  Could you update the wiki
page?  I think the instructions on the front AndroidTools page should be
moved and integrated into:

https://wiki.debian.org/AndroidTools/IntroBuildingApps

Then these details need to be updated:

* use LocationPrivacy and F-Droid Privileged Extension as example apps

* remove F-Droid as an example app, or make it an advanced example

* set buildToolsVersion based on the version in stretch or buster

* remove android-sdk-helper and --init-gradle stuff, its only in sid

* libgradle-android-plugin-java is missing from buster, but present in
  stretch and sid

Anything else?

.hc