[Android-tools-devel] Android SDK license

殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan seamlik at debian.org
Tue Feb 11 08:21:31 GMT 2020

> 1. If the source code is "free software", why does the user have
> to accept a license?

The binaries downloaded from Google website is not free software, and we don't want to make efforts in removing the logic about licenses.

> 2. Where is the full text of the license to which the user is
> agreeing?

For the actual license text you are looking for, see <https://salsa.debian.org/android-tools-team/android-sdk-meta/blob/debian/25.0.0+12/tools/package.xml#L6> which is in fact a pointer.

Under the hood, when user agree to the license either in command line or the IDE, a hash of the license text is stored under `$ANDROID_HOME/licenses` directory. Package `android-sdk-common` already provides that file, so installing it should allow you to skip the license matter. (Unless there is some bug...)

> Let me say that I think the developers' effort to get this
> software into Debian is important for the future of free
> software and I appreciate it very much.

Glad to hear feedback!