[Aptitude-devel] Unsplit strings in the main help message

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Sun Apr 13 09:27:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:53:14AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> As Deng Xiyue pointed, splitting strings in the help message is very
> confusing for translators.
>
> It is indeed very good that each option of aptitude's help message has
> its own string but splitting long ones in several strings is much more
> annoying.
>
> I propose the attached patch. It might need to be rewritten for
> readability, which explains why I did not commit it. I'm not expert
> enough with C syntax to make this nicer..:-)

thanks, I committed a slightly different patch which ensures that the
text is properly wrapped in source and PO files.

I will also add the --previous parameter for msgmerge in
po/Makefile.in.in as this option is already supported since some time
(at least in Etch). Once make distcheck completes successfully I will
also commit updated po files (or should I try to avoid changed source
file comments in PO files by calling msgmerge with the older
aptitude.pot file to keep the diff as small as possible?).

Jens