[Aptitude-devel] Warning regarding the Glade file.

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 12:25:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 02:54:14PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   In my last round of changes, I noticed that the "main window" widget
> in the Glade file has gotten very crowded.  I don't think we need to put
> all the sub-parts of the notebook into the main window itself; we can
> instead make them separate windows (and just instantiate the contents of
> the window, same as we do now).  That should make it a lot easier to
> work with the Glade file, and incidentally will avoid creating a lot of
> unnecessary structure when we start up (I suspect we have a hidden copy
> of each tab in the notebook, although I could be mistaken).  Hopefully
> we shouldn't even need to change any code.
>
>   Of course this is a pretty major change and will conflict with
> anything else going on in the Glade file.  I'll try out techniques for
> splitting the main window for now, and once we have any outstanding
> changes to the .glade file committed I'll do it for real.  I know that
> Arthur and Luca have been working on the Glade interface definition; if
> there's anyone else in the same boat, let me know or I'll do the split
> as soon as they say they're ready. ;-)

I'm not currently doing changes in the glade file.
It's definitely important in the design that pages needing to be
reinstantiated multiple times are splitted in different toplevels.
While single-page instances are good to stay in the main window, such as the
Dashboard.

--
http://syx.googlecode.com - Smalltalk YX
http://lethalman.blogspot.com - Thoughts about computer technologies