[Aptitude-devel] Packages search not working

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Fri Dec 26 17:36:44 UTC 2008

Luca Bruno a écrit :
> Hello,
> lately I've tried searching packages, say e.g. from the dashboard search
> box. If I type "ccache" it shows "No packages matching ccache". Instead,
> it works if I press the "Find" button without any search pattern.
> Is this a regression?
>
> Best regards,

Hi,

It could be two things :
1) You xapian index is empty. Run update-apt-xapian-index as root.
Install apt-xapian-index if necessary.
2) You're looking for a package which name is not among its
xapian-indexed tags, which is what the default search uses. It's
strange, but it happens. To mimick the regular (ncurse) aptitude search,
do "?name(ccache)".

A simple "ccache" search gives me ccache, ccontrol, compilercache. a
"?name(ccache)" search gives me ccache.

Arthur