[Aptitude-devel] Several i18n patches and updated German translation

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Feb 20 15:35:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:53:46AM +0100, Jens Seidel <jensseidel at users.sf.net> was heard to say:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:28:07AM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:48:07AM +0100, Jens Seidel <jensseidel at users.sf.net> was heard to say:
> > > I updated the German translation and noticed some internationalisation
> > > errors in the head of the mercurial repository.
> >
> >   I've forwarded your patches to Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org>,
> > who handles most i18n-related stuff for aptitude.
>
> But he still ignored parts of it and thinks you are responsible for it.
> --keyword=W_ is e.g. missing in po/Makevars which makes all
> translations outdated. I reported it already twice (or even more) during
> the last weeks.

  I added that to Makevars.template on the assumption that it would
propagate from there into the build process.  Apparently not?  I've
added it to Makevars too now.  (it's hard for me to test since
everything seems to work on my machine regardless of whether W_ is in
those files)

> > > First a simple question: I read somewhere that the debian/ subdirectory
> > > is contained in another repository but could not find it. Where is it?
> >
> >     hg://hg.debian.org/aptitude/debian{,-upstream}
>
> ???

  Sorry, I misspoke.  hg://hg.debian.org/hg/aptitude/debian{,-upstream}

> $ hg clone hg://hg.debian.org/aptitude/debian-upstream
> abort: repository hg://hg.debian.org/aptitude/debian-upstream not found!
>
> Same for the other URL! Adapting the URL according to
> http://hg.debian.org/hg/aptitude/head as mentioned in
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/i18n/ch01s07.html#level5_aptitude
> works indeed and also creates a debian/ directory but it also duplicates
> the source code!
>
> Let me ask again: If the devolopment happens in
> http://hg.debian.org/hg/aptitude/head which misses a debian/ directory
> where can I find this single directory?

  In the URL above.  The package is maintained in the more-or-less
standard manner, using hg-buildpackage.  Unfortunately its documentation
isn't available on the Web, but if you install it you can check out
file:///usr/share/doc/hg-buildpackage/html/index.html.  It works like
cvs-buildpackage, svn-buildpackage, git-buildpackage, etc, but using
Mercurial as the backend VCS.

> > > OK, let me explain my patches:
>
> > >  * Also some strings (W_("...")) where not extracted from source which
> > >    resulted in untranslated messages!
> >
> >   That's not so good.  I've added it to Makevars.template to be on the
> > safe side.  Note, however, that I can't actually reproduce the problem
> > here: even without this change, W_ -quoted strings ended up in .po
> > files.  I don't know what's up with that, since they really shouldn't
> > have AFAIK.
>
> Please fix it also for Makevars. I wonder that you claim that you cannot
> reproduce it. Look into po/aptitude.pot which was last updated by you and
> search for "Unrecognized tasks". You will not find it!

  *shrug* I dunno, I tried to reproduce it and I couldn't.  I've added
it to Makevars too now, so that should fix the problem.

> I attached another (current) patch. Please apply. If there are two
> people responsible for it I would expect it is faster committed but the
> opposite is true!?

  Personally, the priority I place on requests while I'm working as a
volunteer tends to be inversely proportional to the number of exclamation
marks in the request.  It's not as if I have any shortage of work people
want me to spend my free time on.  YMMV.  (or should I say "YMMV"!?)

  At a quick glance your patch looks OK, so I can probably commit it
when I get a chance.

> Also "make check" even failed to compile! This should not happen. Even in
> a development snapshot!

  Thank you for your advice.