[Aptitude-devel] I18n questions in aptitude development tree

Sven Joachim svenjoac at gmx.de
Sun Feb 24 13:34:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

as a member of the German translation team I decided to tackle the task
of translating aptitude's user manual.  I checked out the source tree:

hg clone http://hg.debian.org/hg/aptitude/head aptitude

and ran ./autogen.sh, but now I'm a bit uncertain how to proceed.  There
are several questions/problems:

1) There is no Makefile in the po/ directory, so `make' failed there.
   How comes that?

2) The template for the user manual seems to be in
   doc/po4a/aptitude.pot.  How is that file updated?  I don't want to
   translate obsolete stuff.

3) If I'm going to translate aptitude.pot as de.po, which files do I
   have to edit to let this take effect?  I've found doc/po4a/po4a.cfg,
   doc/po4a/Makefile.am and doc/po4a/po/Makefile.am.
   Also, which commands (automake, autoconf, autoheader, configure,
   make whatever) do I need to run when I add de.po to these files?

Kind regards,
Sven