[Aptitude-devel] I18n questions in aptitude development tree

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Feb 27 14:52:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:02:59AM +0100, Sven Joachim <svenjoac at gmx.de> was heard to say:
> On 2008-02-27 07:10 +0100, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 02:34:29PM +0100, Sven Joachim <svenjoac at gmx.de> was heard to say:
> >> 1) There is no Makefile in the po/ directory, so `make' failed there.
> >>    How comes that?
> >
> >   I'm not sure.  Are there any hints in the configure output?  Mine
> > finishes with:
> >
> > (...)
> > config.status: creating src/generic/util/Makefile
> > config.status: creating src/mine/Makefile
> > config.status: creating tests/Makefile
> > config.status: creating config.h
> > config.status: config.h is unchanged
> > config.status: executing depfiles commands
> > config.status: executing default-1 commands
> > config.status: creating po/POTFILES
> > config.status: creating po/Makefile
>
> The last two lines are missing in my output:
>
> config.status: creating src/generic/util/Makefile
> config.status: creating src/mine/Makefile
> config.status: creating tests/Makefile
> config.status: creating config.h
> config.status: config.h is unchanged
> config.status: executing depfiles commands
> config.status: executing default-1 commands
>
> There is no po/POTFILES.in from which po/POTFILES could be created, why
> is it missing?

  I see what happened.  I changed POTFILES.in to an autogenerated file
recently so that it would stay in sync with the source code.  But
apparently it needs to be present in order for autoconf to generate
po/Makefile.in. (not sure why) Just creating an empty file with
"touch po/POTFILES.in" seems to be sufficient, and I've modified
autogen.sh to do so.