[Aptitude-devel] Plans for aptitude 0.5.0 - 0.6.0.

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Fri Nov 7 15:36:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 01:42:54PM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:29:50AM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> > On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 08:15:48PM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> > >   Major TODOs for 0.6.0:
> > >
> > >     * Show dpkg interaction inside the program instead of in the
> > >       controlling terminal.
> > >
> > >       + For 0.5.0: pop up dpkg in a new tab.  Estimated hack time: 4-8
> > >         hours; we just need to integrate support for libvte.
> >
> >   That was a wildly optimistic estimate.  The main problem was that I had
> > to completely redesign the entire process of invoking dpkg, bottom to top,
> > in all frontends, in order to acheive this in a reasonable way.  I also,
> > along the way, fixed the GTK+ frontend to run its downloads in a
> > background thread.  The new code should be a lot more stable, plus it
> > runs dpkg in a tab!
>
>   One problem that's left: it looks like the new code crashes sometimes
> after downloads. [snip]

  Ok, I introduced some indirection in how slots are copied between
threads to hopefully eliminate this problem.  Please let me know if you
still see the code crashing, it's possible there's some other subtlety
I'm missing.  (I hate threads)

  Hopefully I can cut a release for experimental this weekend.