[Aptitude-devel] Plans for aptitude 0.5.0 - 0.6.0.

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 17:28:12 UTC 2008

Hi all,
Remember me talking about the best server bit. I just realized that
even that implementation is half-done. What it actually does is just
tries to do so latency tests and on the behalf of that it gives the
user a server.

What would be really cool is if one could use server based on a
combination of :-

a. Latency
b. Freshness of the archive

This probably would make the whole thing a bit more complex but I as a
user would perhaps look for

a. sacrificing a bit more latency
b. For pretty fresh archives

Or, if using development release (coming from Ubuntu perspective) then

a. have less latency
b. but 6 hours to a day old archive

Of course I'm sure there would be many people who would want various
combinations of the same. Is there anyway this could be woven into
aptitude?

This would bring some "warranty" (for lack of a better word) to the
whole process.

Another point perhaps (going out on the leash here) what do you think
of the metalinker stuff www.metalinker.org

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/segmented-aptget-downloads

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/metalink

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/metalink-iso-downloads

perhaps this might have been discussed before, but I couldn't find the
same, so sorry if this has been discussed before as well. If discussed
please point me to the relevant info. as well.

The idea behind using metalinker is basically to use p2p for updates
and stuff alongwith making servers a bit smarter

http://www.metalinker.org/why.html

Looking forward to comments, suggestions and perhaps improvements in
the road ahead :)
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal