[Aptitude-devel] Opinions about the GTK version of aptitude

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Nov 12 17:23:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:59:01PM -0200, "Nelson A. de Oliveira" <naoliv at gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I don't know what is the exact purpose of the GTK version (if it's a
> complete graphical replacement for aptitude or just an easier thing to
> use), but being an ncurses aptitude user I have some suggestions:

  Just to clarify this point: the goal is to produce a graphical UI
that's functionally equivalent to the curses one, by which I mean that
any task you can do from the curses UI can also be done from the
graphical one.  However, the way you go about doing it might be
different.

  In the long term I expect that the curses UI will incorporate some of
the design decisions in the GTK+ UI, once we see what works and what
doesn't.