[Aptitude-devel] All documentation should be in UTF-8 encoding

Miroslav Kure kurem at upcase.inf.upol.cz
Tue Sep 2 08:52:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 09:49:38AM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   Were you able to verify that this actually works for the text
> encoding?

Yes, I verified that by building the documentation several times (by
manually calling xsltproc, by calling makefile and by building the
package). I tested cs, fr and fi (seeing correctly all accents,
umlauts...).

However, it might be possible, that my terminal was already
broken by the iso-8859-1 sequences when viewing the original files.

I will try again later today when I get home.

The other issue is that when you want to view such README files
directly in aptitude (from the Help menu), you have to correctly
indicate the encoding in the .po file (there is the ability to specify
which README file shoud be used and what encoding it is in).

>   For HTML, I think it makes perfect sense to explicitly output UTF-8
> and I've committed this change to the head branch.

Thanks, this makes documentation in aptitude-doc-cs readable again.

--
Miroslav Kure