[Aptitude-devel] building: automake failure

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Sat Apr 11 02:02:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to build aptitude from source on Debian Lenny.  I'm using
subversion revision 4434, the latest.  My first step is to run
autoreconf.  This fails with exit status 1:

  neal at kleiner:~/src/aptitude$ autoreconf
  acinclude.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of FC_EXPAND_DIR
  acinclude.m4:8:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  acinclude.m4:8:   or see
  http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
  autoreconf: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not
  AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
  doc/de/Makefile.am:30: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
  doc/de/Makefile.am:31: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
  doc/de/Makefile.am:32: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
  doc/de/Makefile.am:33: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
  doc/en/Makefile.am:27: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
  doc/fr/Makefile.am:29: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
  autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

I'm using automake debian version 1:1.10.1-3.

Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to use a specific automake
version?

Thanks,

Neal