[Aptitude-devel] Caching network data

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Wed Apr 29 13:52:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 06:23:35AM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   One thing that I've had at the back of my mind for a while is that
> aptitude really needs a decent system for caching data that it's
> retrieved off the network.  Right now this is most visible with
> changelogs, but screen-shots and other package information that we
> download off the Internet will also need to be cached.
>
>   I looked around a few weeks ago and was unable to find any
> "off-the-shelf" caching libraries.  So I'm currently thinking about
> just rolling my own, maybe using sqlite to manage organizing the
> index (and maybe even just storing *everything* in sqlite as BLOBs).
> Anyone have a better idea?

Re-implementing yet another proxy seems quite dumb per se, but I agree
that a drop-in solution does not appear to be evident. However, I
think it would be worth to check whether there is some proxy solution
that aptitude can recommend, recognize on the fly, and possibly use
transparently without having to re-implement it.

Just my (lurker's) 0.02€,
Cheers.