[Aptitude-devel] Changelog improvements

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Tue Feb 17 17:14:33 UTC 2009

  I've just checked in two changes that should make the initial
changelog download a lot less of a pain.  Whereas a lot of the
changes I've been making lately took a lot of effort for little
user-visible effect, this is at the other end of the scale -- the
fixes were really easy, but the change in behavior is dramatic.

  (1) Changelog parsing now happens in a background thread.  This means
      that aptitude doesn't lock up for seconds at a time each time a
      changelog download completes.

  (2) Clicking on a package in the upgrade list jumps you to its
      changelog.

  The problem with changelogs sometimes mysteriously getting stuck in
the "downloading" state is not fixed.  That's mostly because I need to
rewrite the whole download layer anyway, to use some sort of persistent
cache that lasts between sessions.  Otherwise (i.e., if every aptitude
everywhere downloads every upgrade's changelog every time it starts up),
I'm pretty sure the ftpmasters will deploy a team of ninjas to throttle
me in my sleep. ;-)