[Aptitude-devel] Moving the search progress indicator?

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Fri Jan 16 05:07:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 08:06:46PM +0100, Obey Arthur Liu <arthur at milliways.fr> was heard to say:
> Can we effectively cancel a search ? Except for a complete package list,
> it's rather fast anyway. If I remember correctly, rebuild_store() is
> rather interruptible but the Gtk::TreeView sorting phase is not.

  Well, some more complicated searches take longer.  I'd probably
display a progress bar and "cancel" button while the filter is running
and the store is being built, then gray them out while the final sort
is taking place.  We could also use a trick the curses code uses (for
the resolver) and not actually display the progress bar / cancel button
until 50 milliseconds have passed.  That way trivial searches won't
force the display to redraw, but the user gets feedback on longer ones.