[Aptitude-devel] Aptitude History Tracking progress report, Week 6

Cristian Porras porrascristian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 05:19:02 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org>:
>  Hi, Christian.  It's nice to see that you've been making some real
> progress.
>
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 11:32:46AM -0500, Cristian Porras <porrascristian at gmail.com> was heard to say:
>> In b) I added command line support, thus having the ability to view
>> history of a package as $ aptitude history [PACKAGE ...].
>
>  I notice that the code throws out attempts to view the history of
> packages that don't currently exist.  It would probably be better to
> move this test so that it only happens if a package has no history: the
> user should be able to view the history of packages that no longer exist
> in the archive.  And of course turn the error message into something
> like "package %s does not exist and has no recorded history".

Hi

Everything seems very strange, I tested the code in my two computers
and one of a friend and everything has worked well, except some of the
things you said that I already knew.

When I try to see the history of a package that does not exist I get
the following:

pollopolis at pollopolis:~/compiladito/bin$ sudo ./aptitude history
xmoto3333
E: No se pudo localizar el paquete xmoto3333

It couldn't be found as I expected

And when it comes to view the history of a package that has not been
changed, I was already handling this exception in the GTK interface,
but not in the console, I forget to do it there.

>  I tried running an upgrade with this version of aptitude and then
> checking the history of one of the upgraded packages.  "aptitude
> history" crashed with a segmentation fault.  I tried running it as root,
> just to see whether maybe there was a permissions problem, and it
> crashed with a glibc invalid free() error.  When I run the GUI, it
> crashes on start-up.  Also, the text history file that aptitude
> generated is empty.

I was already aware of the fault for the permissions, I thought to fix
this later, but I see that I had not given the importance it deserves.

I have marked several changes from the command line and from the GUI,
from both sides I am writing the right entries in history. When I view
the changes from console I have no problem:

pollopolis at pollopolis:~/compiladito/bin$ sudo ./aptitude history 4g8
Paquete: 4g8