[Aptitude-devel] Timed freezes and aptitude

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Jul 29 15:35:56 UTC 2009

  I just read an announcement that Debian is moving to timed freezes,
with the first one happening this coming December.  We'll see if that
happens ... anyway, I want to get 0.6.0 into that release, even if the
GTK+ frontend has to be flagged "experimental and unfinished".  In
particular, the resolver optimizations I worked on for the last 3-4
months are targeted squarely at the performance problems people observed
in the etch->lenny upgrade, and I want the new code out there for the
squeeze release.

  Critical stuff that needs to happen by then:

  (1) I want to finish the work I'm doing right now on putting together
      a system for caching retrieved data (mostly changelogs).

  (2) Xapian support needs to be ripped out or made not the default;
      users hate it.  (see #514625, #527540, #538198, as well as a lot
      of private mail I've gotten, mail to this list, and probably some
      bugs that didn't include "search" in the title)

  Once I get that done, I want to release an RC build for bug-testing so
that stuff like the current flakiness in the resolver can be nailed
down before the final release to unstable.  Hopefully I can do that in a
week or two.