[Aptitude-devel] Recent aptitude commits

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Tue May 5 18:01:40 UTC 2009

Daniel Burrows a écrit :
>   Hi, Arthur,

Sorry for suddenly messing with the resolver interface :). I'll tip you
first next time. CCing aptitude-devel to bore the general public as well
with my ramblings.

> changeset:   2804:8eaddeae4df0
> tag:         tip
> user:        Obey Arthur Liu <arthur at milliways.fr>
> date:        Thu Apr 30 20:16:40 2009 +0200
> files:       src/gtk/aptitude.glade
> Reformulate a label.
> It's not really an explanation of the solution but rather of an individual action. Bonus: it's shorter.
>
>   Well, it is an explanation of the solution.  Every solution aptitude
> produces comes about because a series of dependencies were solved.  I
> don't claim my wording is the best, but at least it means something.
> "Show actions explanations" is completely opaque to me.
>
>   Maybe "Group by dependency" would be better?

Well, whichever way, looking at the list to understand what it is about
much quicker anyway. "Group by dependency" sounds good to me.

Not completely related, but what about adding a "show all" option box
besides these two options to also show packages that will be
upgraded/removed/whatever without fuss ? Sometimes when I go to the
resolver I'm thinking that about some packages that may be here but I
don't see them right away so I'd like to have a clear confirmation that
they will be ok. Also, this gives the option to the user to mark them as
accepted right away.

This would also be a first step toward converging the preview tab and
resolver tab, which IMHO should be merged to simplify the interface in
the user's mental representation. (of course, language about conflicts
would be reduced if there aren't any so as to stay simple)

> changeset:   2803:a1016110ac68
> user:        Obey Arthur Liu <arthur at milliways.fr>
> date:        Thu Apr 30 20:14:25 2009 +0200
> files:       src/gtk/aptitude.glade
> Reorganize the Resolver tab layout.
> The examined solution is an element of the list of existing solution, so should be on the right of it.
> Solution view mode now horizontal to save a little vertical space.
> The 'next solution' and 'apply' are now right below the examined solution, much more logical and save mouse movements when moving between choices and 'next'.
>
>   Making the view mode horizontal makes sense.
>
>   The button change makes sense.  BTW, I think that "Apply" should be
> changed to "Apply solution", or else the "Apply changes" button needs
> to be moved -- they're very close to each other and say almost the same
> thing.  Any thoughts there?

"Apply this solution" maybe ? or emphasis that fact by putting it inside
a frame with the solution ?
Another idea would be to put it as a button besides the
reject/meh/accept as "accept all".

>   I'm still thinking about the left-right swap.  It's true that the
> displayed solution is a detailed form of the solution selected in the
> solutions list.  But eventually I was planning to have multiple view
> modes for the solutions list, some of which would display detailed
> information about the selected action in the solution. :-)

I see. As I said before. Maybe we should think about merging some of the
existing interfaces with close functionality before thinking about
adding even more of them ? It's better to start lean than to try to
squeeze everything together afterward.

>   Not sure what the best way to do this is.  A secondary problem is
> that those other views will also let the user reject/accept actions,
> and it needs to be clear in the GUI how that works (i.e., which actions
> will be affected by a given button).

I agree.

Did you get any input after your visual tour from the other day ?
Oh I see that there's one comment. Maybe also redirect readers to
aptitude-devel next time.

Cheers

Arthur

--