[Aptitude-devel] Recent aptitude commits

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Thu May 7 02:52:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 07:50:07PM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:01:40PM +0200, Obey Arthur Liu <arthur at milliways.fr> was heard to say:
> > This would also be a first step toward converging the preview tab and
> > resolver tab, which IMHO should be merged to simplify the interface in
> > the user's mental representation. (of course, language about conflicts
> > would be reduced if there aren't any so as to stay simple)
>
>   I think it would be dangerous to fully converge those two.

  I should add that I think the impulse to do this is understandable
and it would be nice if there was a sane way to do it, it's just that
the more I think about it the more I think that this is a "planes and
grasshoppers both fly" case; i.e., the two tools appear to do something
similar, but they're really doing fundamentally different tasks that
deserve separate interfaces.