[Aptitude-devel] aptitude debian/ packaging repository moving to something else (probably git)

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Sun Apr 18 15:43:25 UTC 2010

  Hi all,

  *PLEASE NOTE: this email only concerns the repository used to create
Debian packages, which is separate from the repository where active
aptitude development takes place.  Most of you won't be affected at
all.*

  I just noticed that hg-buildpackage has been removed from Debian (as
the result of setting up a new development workstation that hadn't been
linearly upgraded from the days of etch).  I could switch to
mercurial-buildpackage, but it looks like there's no way to save my
history anyway, so there's no particular reason to stay with mercurial.
And I actually would prefer git to mercurial these days.

  So, I'm currently considering moving to git-buildpackage.  The whole
git toolchain feels a little cleaner to me and appears to have more
support from the community at large.  I'm hoping that it'll be a long
time before I have to switch VCSes because the tools I use were
abandoned.

  The 0.6.2 release is going to be created without any VCS for the
Debian package, as a stopgap measure until I figure out exactly what to
do and get a new toolchain set up.