[Aptitude-devel] Towards a better build system

Miles Bader miles at gnu.org
Thu Apr 29 08:15:09 UTC 2010

Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> writes:
>   scons has (IMO) a really good idea at its core, namely using a real
> programming language to define the build.

Is this actually an important thing for a build system?  Do you find you
actually need to do significant amount of "real programming" to build
aptitude?

It's certainly _nice_ to have a "real" programming language, but it
seems to me that it's _way_ down on the priority list for the vast
majority of programs, and things like good data structure support are
very rarely all that useful.

[Remember, something like python is _also_ a significant dependency --
python is not small.]

-Miles

--
Opportunity, n. A favorable occasion for grasping a disappointment.