[Aptitude-devel] Towards a better build system

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Thu Apr 29 14:32:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 06:50:31AM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:03:30AM +0000, Sune Vuorela <nospam at vuorela.dk> was heard to say:
> > I do have a couple of questions:
> >  - is it correct that aptitude is designed to do a 'two pass' build,
> >    first building aptitude and then creating a different config.h and
> >    building aptitude-gtk ?
>
>   Only because of limitations of autotools.  Run "scons --variant=all"
> and you'll get both versions of the program (with all combinations of
> compile flags).  Assuming you can get over your hatred of scons, that
> is. :)

  And just in case you can't, I did it for you:

daniel at windrider:~/programming/aptitude/head$ ls build
debug-curses  doc               optimized-gtk     profiling-gtk
debug-gtk     optimized-curses  profiling-curses

  Each one of those directories (except "doc") contains a build of
aptitude; if I ran the unit tests, they would be built for each variant
too.

  The variant specification system allows pretty flexible specification
of what to build.  But TBH, I'd be happy with a system that let me pick
either a single variant or all of them (i.e., you don't need to support
"build all the optimized variants").