[Aptitude-devel] 002-qt-stubs review

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Wed Jul 14 22:01:13 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-14, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Piotr Galiszewski <piotr at galiszewski.pl> wrote:
>> 2010/7/14 Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org>:
>>>  I would prefer to use abstract interfaces wherever we can get away
>>> with it.
>>>
>>>  The tricky part is often figuring out what the interfaces between
>>> components should be.  Also, you need to know when to stop. :-)  It's
>>> easy to end up with a bazillion tiny little interfaces for every piece
>>> of your program (which might actually be good for industrial
>>> development, but isn't worth it in a smaller project like this); on the
>>> other hand, having a few really broad interfaces doesn't do anyone any
>>> good.  Hopefully we can find some common-sensical middle ground.
>>>

>> I am not sure how it will work for widgets. It is common to use
>> inherited methods from QWidget or other parents classes. Also QWidget
>> has to be accessible base for every widget added to any layout.
>
>   Instead of me spouting a bunch of generalities, how about we play
> a "game": you give me an example of some code that you think
> won't work with this approach, and I'll try to make it work. :-)

Rather than playing theoretical games, we should also make sure that we
actually get something done in a useful way.

Just because you *can* insert bunches of abstract interfaces in between
things doesn't mean you *should*.

And just because it is possible to bastardize qt code so that no one can
recognize it afterwards, doesn't mean that this is what should be done
here.

I get the impression that we are heading further and further out of
theoretical paths that leads no where practical.

I am currently *worried* about where we are heading with this project.

It might be that things can be done the way Daniel wants. We just end up
with a unmaintainable nightmare that no one has ever heard of before. We
already have one unmaintainable piece of Qt package manager. We don't
need another one.

Please. let's get practical.

/Sune