[Aptitude-devel] Experimental package and package_pool implementation

Daniel Burrows dburrows at google.com
Thu Jul 15 19:04:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Piotr Galiszewski
> <piotr at galiszewski.pl> wrote:
>> Today I have rebased my later patches to current code. Unfortunately
>> there is one big problem with package_pool. Creating package list
>> takes nearly 17 seconds on my machine. The problem is with
>> boost::multi_index_container. I have changed this to std::vector and
>> time is 0.3s now.
>
>  Interesting, I'd like to know why that is so we can avoid hitting it again.
> Glad it's fixed, anyway.

  Rather than spending your time on it, would you mind posting the SHA of
the version with lousy performance so I can play with it and see what
happened?  I have a suspicion about what caused it that I'd like to
investigate.  (in any event, this doesn't *need* a multi index as far as I can
see)

  Is it cfac0549f1ae899cc1f18b07084eef1c9aa0b857?

  BTW: do you know about pkg->ID?  Packages are numbered from 0 to
PackageCount()-1, and you can access that number.  In fact, it should be
exactly the same as the number you use as the index into the pool.  No
need for a side table to look packages up.