[Aptitude-devel] aptitude-qt VCS usage and code review

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Fri Jul 16 15:15:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 01:10:43PM +0200, Piotr Galiszewski <piotr at galiszewski.pl> was heard to say:
> 2010/7/16 Daniel Burrows <dburrows at google.com>:
> >  This is effectively what all the other frontends do, except that
> > they only support one predicate (aptitude match expressions)
> > and they don't have a separate class for holding the search
> > predicate and updating the view when it changes.
> >
> >  BTW: I would be perfectly happy with just having the filter hold
> > a match expression and use that to search.  These extra layers
> > of indirection are only needed because you seemed to want to
> > use non-match-expression predicates.
> >

> It will be one of my next step to implement aptitude's search syntax.
> Probably I will borrow some code from generic/apt/matches/match.cc and
> make it work with package class

  You shouldn't have to implement anything or borrow code from generic/.
All you need to do is hand a string to the parse routine, catch any
errors you get back, and the pass the matcher to the match routine.
For input handling, there's a controller/view pair named "search_input"
that will do the parsing for you, so you just operate at the level of
search expressions.

> P.S. Probably I am the most problematic and annoying student in this
> year soc. Sorry about that ;)

  I know I'm a pretty "hands-on" mentor, and I know I'm probably slowing
you down with all these annoying requests for design changes.

  I expect that this first bit of the project is where I'll be most
involved, because I really want to make sure that the core part of the
design is clean and that we have some reasonable middle-ground
established between Qt and aptitude idioms.  Once you start implementing
individual tabs, I think things will go faster -- it's less important to
get them right the first time, since they can generally be rewritten
without too much disruption after the fact.