[Aptitude-devel] Review: 1ec363ac (001.1-package^)

Piotr Galiszewski piotr at galiszewski.pl
Wed Jul 21 14:22:31 UTC 2010

2010/7/21 Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org>:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:01:18AM +0200, Piotr Galiszewski <piotr at galiszewski.pl> was heard to say:
>> 2010/7/21 Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org>:
>> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 08:10:38PM +0200, Piotr Galiszewski <piotr at galiszewski.pl> was heard to say:
>> >  You still have get_candidate_version, but it appears to return
>> > something other than the candidate version?  It should just read:
>> >
>> >    // ...
>> >    if(!candver.end())
>> >      candidate_ver = version::create(candver);
>> >    else
>> >      candidate_ver = version_ptr();
>> >    // ...
>> >

>> I use "candidate version" to display version in "candidate column" of
>> package list. Probably calling "candidate" is unfortunate. The
>> question is, what should be displayed in this column (lets forget
>> about candidate label for a moment). The newest version, the version
>> that is selected to installation, or the version that will be
>> installed after selecting install option under the package (candidate
>> version?)
>
>  I would display the version that will be selected when "install" is
> chosen.  That's the most actionable piece of information for the user.
> There's a bit of an issue about what happens if they picked a
> non-default version; should it change or not?  I might go so far as to
> change it *and use a different text style*, if it's possible to do that
> in Qt.  (you can technically call this the candidate version, since
> that's what apt calls it)

Thanks a lot. So I will use "normal" candidate version in this case. I
stashed my current work and pushed fixed version to gitorious

>  Although there's another argument saying that the version is something
> of a "blinkenlights" feature that doesn't do the user any good unless
> they have specific knowledge about a particular package.  The GTK+
> interface actually chooses not to display the version by default in
> package listings for this reason, saving more screen real estate for
> other information.  The version number of the visible version is
> displayed with the description of the package when the user clicks on
> it.

For now, I'd like leave it in current state and receive some feedback.
It can be very easy change in the future (decrease number of columns
in model, and remove one two cases from package_delegate)

--
Regards
Piotr Galiszewski