[Aptitude-devel] Development update

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Sun Mar 28 04:49:29 UTC 2010

  I mentioned in a sub-thread earlier that I was working on new ways of
prioritizing resolver solutions.  I spent some evenings last week
finishing the last bit of code that I needed (the parser for the
configuration setting) and hooked it up.  To my great disappointment,
nothing exploded; even on my slowest machine, the resolver came up with
solutions in a reasonable amount of time.  (but please note that I
haven't yet confirmed that it optimizes correctly)

  After doing this development on my personal laptop, I spent the flight
home writing up a first draft of the documentation.  Then I very
cleverly left my laptop in the back pocket of the seat in front of me
when I got off the plane.  I had actually already decided to replace it
and a new laptop is on order, but it does mean development has been set
back a bit, since I'll have to re-do all that work.  At least I know
that the concept is apparently sound.  (of course, if the airline
managed to find the laptop and it didn't get stolen anywhere along the
way, I can get all my work back.  I sent in a notification that the
laptop was missing, but I doubt I'll hear back for at least a few days)