[Aptitude-devel] Tools 2: VCS

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Sun May 16 20:04:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 08:51:48AM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
>   I've thought this over more, and I think I will go ahead and switch
> over to git.  I've set the project SCM type to git in the alioth Web
> interface, so there should be a git repository once the cronjob runs
> to set it up.  After that, I'll convert the Mercurial repository over
> and push the results up to the git repository, and we should be good
> to go.

  Ok, it's done.  To get a read-only copy of the repository, do:

    $ git clone http://alioth.debian.org/anonscm/git/aptitude/aptitude.git

    and to stay up-to-date:

    $ git pull

  If you want to push commits directly into the repository:

    $ git clone git+ssh://login@cvs.alioth.debian.org/git/aptitude/aptitude.git

    ... do work ...

    $ git push

  Are all the commiters familiar with git?  If anyone needs help, I
can post a brief summary.  You could also check out an online tutorial,
such as <http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html>.

  I also strongly suggest trying out "git gui" -- it's not mentioned in
the tutorial I reference above, but it's a handy tool for staging
commits, particularly when you have several entangled patches that you
want to separate.  Just run it from inside the repository.