[Aptitude-devel] Tools 2: VCS

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Mon May 17 05:07:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 06:20:04PM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 02:19:44PM -0700, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> was heard to say:
> >   According to this page, you can do it, but the Debian branch ends up
> > being totally independent of the main development branch (i.e., no
> > common ancestors), so it's really just two repositories in one.  It
> > sounds like you end up storing all the upstream source twice, which
> > would be bad for people just tracking development -- maybe a separate
> > repository is better?  Anyone with more experience here is free to
> > comment.
>
>   I just realized that since git names files according to their
> contents and coalesces duplicates, you actually end up with only one
> copy of everything anyway.  So this is totally doable.

  And now it's done.  There's now a "debian" branch and an "upstream"
branch which contain the Debian packaging and the upstream code,
respectively, along with a "pristine-tar" branch for the pristine-tar
deltas.

  Be aware that git-buildpackage operates on "master" by default, which
is wrong for aptitude (since its master branch is the live code).  I've
checked an appropriate gbp.conf file into the Debian branch, but if
you're working on another branch, this won't help, and there's no way
(that I know of, anyway) to check in repository-wide configuration
files :-(.  So I recommend that if you plan on working with the Debian
packaging, you immediately copy debian/gbp.conf from the Debian branch
into .git, to ensure that you're using the right configuration.