[Aptitude-devel] bug in online doc: Table 2.1 lacks "?depends"

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:54:12 UTC 2011

On 21 August 2011 23:29, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:

> Is this the correct place to report bugs in the online doc? That doesn't appear to be in the scope of
>
> https://launchpad.net/aptitude

See: http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Report bugs in the English documentation against package `aptitude-doc-en'.

> but ICBW. In any case:
> http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/ch02s03s05.html#tableSearchTermQuickGuide
>> Table 2.1. Quick guide to search terms
>
> lacks the very-useful "?depends": it goes from "?config-files" to
> "?depType(pattern)".

The formatting of the `depType' part is meant to indicate that it is a
placeholder for the various dependency types, such that the term
`?depType(pattern)' actually means `?depends(pattern)',
`?suggests(pattern)', etc.

This is a common convention in program documentation (you will also
see `UPCASE'  used for the same thing), though I suppose it can be
unclear if one is not familiar with it.  Some examples of the actual
terms in the description text could help the situation.